My first post in 2015!😮 Hello!!!!! Oh wow it’s been soooo long since i did a blog post. I’m sorry! I was recently back home visiting my family and my wonderful creative mother made me this scrumptious salad for dinner! I loved it so much that I asked for all the recipies so I could try it for myself. I’m very glad I did as it’s now one of my favourite dishes ever. If you like grilled chicken and fresh wholesome salads, then this is something you should try. 😋
MARINATED RED ONIONS
• 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
• ½ cup apple cider vinegar
• 1 cup warm water
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1½ teaspoons Kosher salt
• Red pepper flakes
1. Combine Ingredients and bring to a bowl.
2. Remove from heat and refrigerate for 6 hours.
MARINATED CHICKEN BREASTS
• 1 to 2 tablespoons vinegar, like cider, balsamic, or red wine
• 2 to 3 teaspoons dried herbs, like thyme, oregano, rosemary, or crumbled bay leaf
• 1 to 2 tablespoons mustard, whole grain or Dijon
• 1 to 2 teaspoon garlic or onion powder, optional
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast, each about 6 ounces
1. Put the vinegar, herbs, mustard, powders if using and oil in a large re-sealable plastic bag.
2. Close the bag and shake to combine all the ingredients.
3. Open the bag, drop in the chicken breast in the bag.
4. Close and shake the bag to coat evenly.
5. Freeze for up to 2 weeks.
I love to bbq and the flavour that grilling gives these marinated chicken breasts is so perfect, and just in time for summer. I bbq year round because I have a covered patio off the kitchen. So although the rain was coming down hard it didn’t stop me from getting these gorgeous cross grill marks on the chicken. Slice each breast in 1/2 inch slices to add to your bed of greens and veggies.
APPLE CIDER VINAGRETTE
• 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
• 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 2 tablespoons agave syrup
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 cup canola oil
• 1 1/2 tablespoons minced shallots
1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
2. Gradually add oil, stirring constantly with a whisk; stir in shallots.
I kinda splurged and purchased some Jamie Oliver Pinot White Wine Vinegar because… well… I’m a fan! It was very pricy but I’ve learned my mistake in the past by buying cheap vinegars…. I definetly recommend you buy good vinegars for your food. You’ll notice the quality of the flavour for sure. Well I do anyways.
• Greens/ romaine
• Carrot sticks
• Red cabbage
• Marinated red onions
• Toasted Pumpkin seeds
• Grilled chicken breast
• Apple cider vinagrette
• Fresh Dill
1. Place romaine and greens on a plate.
2. Add shredded red cabbage, carrots and cucumbers.
3. Sprinkle with salad dressing.
4. Top with sliced grilled chicken breast.
5. Add marinated red onions, feta and pumpkin seeds.
Once this salad is plated it’s a vibrant flavourful delight!
I had some leftover toasted sunflower seeds and slivered almonds so I added those too and topped it off with a sprinkle of chopped fresh dill. ________________________________________
And there you have it My Lovelies, Marianne’s Fernie Chicken Salad. Named after a similar salad that she had tried in Fernie, British Columbia. Awesomesauce! I hope you give it a try and if you do, I hope you enjoy it. Please let me know what you think guys!